Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Painting Words on Wood Tutorial

Simple method for painting words on wood... I first type the words on the computer, pick my font, and size, then I make it the lightest gray, to save ink and print. Next, hold up to a window with the back of the paper facing you, you will be able to see your light gray words through. Rub a piece of chalk across the back. Tape your paper to your wooden plaque.

I used a stylus and trace each letter, a sharp pencil will work too.

Carefully lift your paper and you will see your chalked letters.

Next paint in the letters, or if you are good with paint pens that would work also.

Allow to dry completely and use a fine sand paper lightly sand, if your letters are like mine the white paint with be thick in some areas, sanding makes them smooth.
I also sand a little heavier around the edges to give the shabby look!


15 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great tutorial! It turned out so good. I don't know if I have the patience to cut all of those letters out.

Very cute!

XOXO
Jen

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

The letters aren't cut out at all, that would take way too long... They are only traced! Much easier!

Tammy in Ontario, Canada said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Great idea with the chalk. I never thought of that.

Rhonda said...

thanks so much for a great tutorial!
I hope to try it soon

love the saying too.

sherri said...

Thanks Jen, the chalk idea is great. I wanted to buy carbon paper to do the same thing, but it was too expensive- comes in only large packs. Chalk will be much cheaper!

Anonymous said...

You are way too smart! Thanks for sharing, Jen!

Robin Beck said...

Great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing-Your sign is adorable! What a great idea to use chalk!
Robin~♥

Cottage Lifestyle said...

I think I could even do this. I want to make a sign with my new favorite phrase: If she would have only bought it when she saw it.

Renee

Small House said...

Well thank you!
Sandra

Elise said...

Ohhh, so THAT'S how you do it. Great tute!!
Thanks!!
Elise

Anonymous said...

Love it! What a great idea! Oh, the things I could make...

Priscilla said...

Great tutorial - thanks!
And I love the quote - life is better when your dog is around :o)
(preferably when he is sitting quietly at your feet and not barking at you to remind you its his dinner time! lol)

DairyQueen said...

thanks for passing that great tutorial along. I have a sign in my head, and this might make it possible!

I love all the goodies you sent to Holly too...you keep coming up with great stuff!

Roxanne said...

um... I'll take one in blue.... heeheee... that is really cute!

Tangee said...

This is so cute! What a great tutorial!!!! I love it. I really need to try something new.