Friday, April 17, 2009

Rusting Recipe {for making things grubby and old}


If you like things aged and rusted, then this is the recipe for you!

One pint Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup White Vinegar
2 TBSP Salt


In a large PLASTIC bowl, I actually use an empty ice cream tub,
{the ones with the lid and red handle} ;) MIX all of the ingredients and use a PLASTIC spoon to stir. Place your items for rusting, safety pins, bells, tags, etc. in your container. This solution will foam and bubble over {this being the reason I use the big ice cream tub... I would suggest doing this outside, I even put newspaper down as I didn't want to "rust" my patio.. Leave your items in the solution over night or for several hours... Make holes in your ice cream tub lid so you can drain off the solution. I dumped it in my yard... Do NOT rinse. Then carefully empty the contents onto several layers of newspaper and let air dry.


If you are rusting tags ONLY leave them in a short amount of time, the paper wouldn't survive several hours emerged in the solution. I would recommend wearing gloves, remove the tags and crinkle {if you like that look}.



19 comments:

Rachel Berry said...

Okay you rock! Thanks for the Rusty Recipe! This is awesome.

Peggy said...

Wow great recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I'm going to look for something to soak!
Peggy

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Thanks for the recipe. Jackie

Georgia Girl said...

Learn something new everyday from Blog Buddies! Thanks for sharing this tip.

Denise said...

Yay! Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

you crack me up!!! ;-p In fifteen years you'll be posting about how to leave out the Hydrogen peroxide, mix the vinegar and salt to a paste like consistancy, and scrub this on items to remove the rust . . . ;-p

sherri said...

Interesting...didn't know you can MAKE things rusty. Nice to know how to do it if I ever need something rusty!

Lisa said...

I 've never actually rusted anything but I did faux rust a planter. I'm so glad to get this recipe! Thanx! Love your blog. You are the bargain Queen!

Elise said...

Pretty nifty!! Thanks for the recipe!! I was washing the jars and lids to that spice rack and have some natural rust going on with the lids!! Guess leaving them in water for a couple days will do it, huh??
Elise

Jennifer said...

Oh Jen I have to say Thank You for sharing this. I was going to pay someone 4 bucks on line to find out how to do this. Then you go and magically put up this post! All I can Say is Thank you, Thank You!
Have A Great Day!
Jennifer :)

Em said...

Ok I did this and nothing bubbled... So I added baking soda *bubbles galore* we'll see what happens ;)

Quilted Cupcake said...

Love this idea! I've wondering if this was possible to do. I'm not patient enough to wait for mother nature to do it.

I'd love for you to add this to my Thrifty Thursday Link Party: http://quiltedcupcake.com

Niki said...

I can always use more rusty things in my art.
Thanks for the idea.

Anonymous said...

Dumping into your yard might not be the best idea...those ingredients WILL kill grass. better to flush it to get the added benefit of killing some toilet germs

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the awesome recipe - it worked like a charm on some ornament hangers. I am dumping the leftovers in my back yard where weeds grow.

Thespoena McLaughlin said...

Thanks so much for the rusty recipe. I'm going to have to try it. Hugs!

Jules said...

Saw this rusty recipe on Pinterest... clicked to follow you there and here! Love your profile; can't wait to lurk around your blog a bit. Have a wonderfully blessed (and rusty!) day. Jules from bles-id.

Barbara Jean said...

first time I have heard of this method. I have a tutorial on my blog, but it is different.

might try this, although my vinegar/salt method is probably cheaper than HP would be.
Your solution might do a better job on some things that are hard to rust.

thanks
barb

Unknown said...

I am going to give this a try!!! For larger items I spray with cheap oven cleaner and let set for a few days.I myself spray 2 to 3 coats on it . Works great on small hard to reach places. Just be patient with it. Depending on the amount of rain it could take longer.