Thursday, December 18, 2008

Finding the Message

In The Grinch....
I was just explaining to my husband that our youngest really gets the meaning of Christmas, as it is a concern of his, that our children know the real meaning of Christmas... Yes, we deck the halls, have a Christmas tree, Santa comes {he only fills the stockings}, and all the other holiday cheer. BUT we first and foremost focus and share the meaning of Jesus' birth the REAL reason for the season... Tonight as I was watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas {cartoon} with our 6 year old, he says to me, "Look mom the real meaning of Christmas.... they don't have a tree or presents but they still have each other and hold hands.... and there it is mom... do you see the baby Jesus star...?" Huh?? As I watch the scene play out there is in fact a little star in the center of the circle and it gets brighter and bigger as it travels up to the sky... Of course.... It's the star for Jesus.... in all my 34 years I never got that message, but my tender hearted little one grasped it so perfectly!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how much we learn from our kids! and it's moments like that one that makes your heart swell and you realize..."they are learning something from me! I am doing something right!!" Or at least that's how I feel!! :)

Is that star on the cartoon or the Jim Carey version? I will have to look for it.

Elise said...

I tell my kids that Jesus wasn't in the Grinch's heart before, but after he stole all the Who's things, then Jesus came into his heart and made him nice. I kind of explain to them that this is what Jesus does for us, too. Love that movie!!
Merry Christmas!!
Elise

Just Me said...

aw, that is so sweet.....leave it up to a child to REALLY know things...i love that!

Em said...

I never noticed that either... very cool T-man

Mother Hood said...

So sweet and tender for a little boy to catch on to that! He sounds like such a neat kid!

Tausha said...

Leave it to our children to show us the big picture-just when we thought that we had seen every detail. Love it. I must confess, I have never noticed either. I will have to sit down with the kiddos this weekend and see what we see.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. The things we can learn from kids if we just keep our ears (and our hearts) open.

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

I just posted about finding the true meaning of Christmas in "The Grinch" too! I would be honored if you would check it out at http://robinsblessednest.blogspot.com/2008/12/true-meaning-of-christmas-from-funny.html. Your blog is lovely!